>Gianni Campanile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> A specialized process gets the body of the messages and the addressees
>> and it is ready to call a "mailer" . I wonder if qmail can help me:
>> my real problem is that I don't wont to call a command (like
>> qmail-inject) for each mail to send, that would slow down terribly.
>
>How exactly do you plan to do it faster than qmail-inject, and anyway, what
>could you possibly need to get out faster than qmail-inject is capable of
>doing?

        Here is my, possibly similar, situation: We have approximately
650,000 customers/accounts and Marketing wants to send them a monthly
newsletter. Our mail system is Intermail running on some 25-30 Sun
Enterprise Servers (and there is no chance of it being replaced with
QMAIL). As an infrastructure group (we plan the system architecture and
then keep it running, plus troubleshoot problems that are passed up from
tier I and II), we do not want to be in the business of being a service
bureau, so we are looking to offload the mass mailouts. If some third party
were to do the mailouts using QMAIL or some other MTA, it would chew up a
lot of bandwidth, and it would also invoke our system's anti-spam
configuration that counts transactions over short periods of time and
blocks offending sites, so it wouldn't be a good solution.

        Hence my earlier message of today asking how QMAIL handled multiple
messages to the same domain. I can Perl script a solution that does a
single transaction/connection and fires off the appropriate number of
"rcpt to:" lines with a single copy of the message, and that would be much
faster. However, it is also a specialty application, and not applicable for
most other mail duties.

--
Roger Walker
Tier III Messaging/News Team