Charles Cazabon writes:
 > Good clarification.  Would you settle for "Making VERP work with per-MX
 > batched recipients of a message would require extensive core changes to
 > qmail?"

No.  VERP support has little to do with it.  The problem is that
qmail-send / qmail-rspawn are strongly oriented around one recipient
per invocation of qmail-remote.  VERP just makes it slightly more
complicated.  qmail-send and qmail-rspawn could offer qmail-remote a
list of recipients for the same message at the same host[1], and
qmuail-remote could decide if VERP support from the SMTP client was
needed.  If it wasn't present then qmail-remote could *still* re-use
the TCP connection.  Given the state of the art in TCP/IP stacks, this
would be a good thing because TCP retry timers are not shared between
TCP sessions.

[1] I'm not talking about per-MX, but instead per-host.  Collating
by MX entry means a gratuitious MX lookup (admittedly, probably
cached).  Instead, I'm just talking about a textual comparison between
hostnames.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |