> D Rajesh wrote:

> We have a database of 100,000 mails and we will be sending
> personalized mails to each user automatically. We use redhat 6.2 (
> extfs, kernel 2.2.14 ) and qmail for mailing.

This should take no longer than 4.5 to 5 hours to deliver to all
reachable mail servers, with a low-end box running remoteconcurrency of
120. I have a low-end NetBSD box that delivers 1800 messages every 5
minutes with remoteconcurrency set to 120.

> The problem is that, when I tried sending  4700 mails ( to different
> domains ..... say like yahoo, hotmail, rediff, etc and not a single
> user in my domain ), it took one whole day to send all the mails..
> qmail-inject placed mails in the queue at a speed of 70 - 90 mails in
> a second. But, if the logs are checked, it took one whole day to
> finish sending all the mails

You didn't happen to get a line like this in /var/log/qmail/current or
maybe a rotated log file, did you?

@400000003b1d11932a837604 delivery 41: deferral:
qmail-spawn_unable_to_create_pipe._(#4.3.0)/

If so, then you need to adjust the ulimits of your system and up the max
processes and max open files per process. Man ulimit.

> What should I do to send say a million mails in a day ?

Set up a main qmail box running ezmlm, that has a list with 4 addresses
subscribed: sublists. Set the sublists to each route to a seperate qmail
box via smtproutes. Set up 4 more qmail boxes, each with ezmlm running
the appropriate sublist. Subscribe one quarter of the subscribers to
each box in the sublist. This should take between 8-9 hours to send out
1 million mails. BTW, these boxes don't need to be high end monsters
like the one you described above.

 You could probably decrease your sending time to 6 hours or something
if you use the large-concurrency patch. You probably also need to use
the large to-do patch so the queues can handle more than 10,000 messages
at a time.

Regards,
Mike