On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 08:20:19AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Omar Thameen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way to make qmail less conscientious about re-delivery?
> > That is, where qmail normally reports the ...Possible_duplicate! error,
> > I'd like it to assume that it has been delivered and cease future
> > attempts.
>
> While technically possible, this would be a spectacularly bad idea.  The whole
> reason qmail has to retry the delivery is that if the remote site fails to
> respond with a 2xx code after the DATA is complete, there's a good chance that
> it did _not_ receive the message properly.  If you don't try delivery again,
> you _will_ be throwing mail in the bitbucket.
>
> A few duplicate deliveries are harmless -- and as they're the fault of the
> receiving system, if the recipient is annoyed, tell them to tell their
> postmaster to fix their system, and not to be angry at you.

Ok, I'm not big on messing with my system to deal with other broken
ones (though pretty much everyone dealt with AOL's DNS packet mess).

Do you have any idea what types of issues or configurations cause this
to happen?  I'd like to be able to point them in the right direction,
and the biggest problem is the fact that it's not happening with any
other mail they receive.  Thus, the fingers get pointed at my system.

Omar