On 28 Jul 2001, MarkD wrote:

> To answer Philip's question: Yes, that overhead is un[avoidable] as
> there is no standard qmail solution for redirecting mail without it
> going thru the queue at least once.
>
> Having said that your concern about overhead may be misplaced. What
> sort of volume are you expecting on what sort of system?

24000 total users on a Pentium III 850MHz with 768 MB of RAM (not sure
how many are active though...at least a couple thousand).

I currently use .qmail-default to run a perl script which connects to a
MySQL database, performs a lookup on the alias, then opens a pipe to
sendmail to deliver the message.

Upon activating this system, the load average of the machine has increased
from 1-2 to 10! I suspect most of the time is being spent compiling the
perl script and connecting to the MySQL database, though. If I switch to
fastforward (or if I rewrite the script in C, and use a persistent
database connection handle somehow, maybe by storing it in an flock'd
file) maybe the load average will drop back down to normal.