On 7 Aug 2001, at 1:09, MarkD wrote:

> > 1.  Is it possible to list the Qmail server as the primary MX record
> > and
> >
> > still forward the mail to its final destination?  All my research
> > says no, but I need to be certain.
>
> It's trivial. smtproutes is your friend.

So true! I use it to do just this... We have redundant servers on mutliple net-
links. if one link dies, mail is routed via MX entries to the secondary server,
which then forwards it via out internal network to the final destination server.

Works like a charm. The other nice thing is that if it's the primary server itself
that died, then the seconary server will hold the mail until we bring the
primary back on line.

> > 2.  If #1 is possible, could your generously provide some real world
> > suggestions on how this can be done?
>
> It'd be helpful to know the real names of the domains and machines
> involved, then we could give you a real world config entry, but
> assuming the MX domain is example.com and the ultimate mail server
> running sendmail is sendmail.example.com, then:
>
> echo example.com:sendmail.example.com >>/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
>
> No restarts are needed. Just change your MX to point to the qmail
> machine and you're done. Of course you need to make sure that
> example.com isn't in locals and virtualdomains.

Good point... If you have your Sendmail boxes domain listed in the
secondary servers locals or virtualdomains files, you will end up delivering
the mail locally to the secondary server. Just remember locals take priority
over virtualdomains, and virtualdomains take proirity over smtproutes.

> It'll be interesting to know how you plan to catch Sircam with this
> though...

Definately, please post!

BTW, for the record, I switched all my primary Sendmail boxes to qmail for
little or no cost. (I chose to pay to register 3 e-smith servers, but you can
grab the iso for free from their ftp site) The other nice things is that I find
qmail can handle running on lower end equipment and still give you the
same if not better performance than a Sendmail box.

Cheers
Dean

Dean Staff
Protus IP Solutions