Hello.

> Going through the qmail installation instruction is lwq. Section 2.8.3
> describes how to remove sendmail. At the end of the section it says I
> must
> create some symlinks for the old sendmail to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail.
> However the instructions give locations for sendmail that don't quite
> work
> on my system.

Well you found the files. So you know what to do.  If not read on.

> (strangely enough the qmail/doc/REMOVE.sendmail doesn't mention the
> need for
> any symlinks ... are they really needed?)

Yes !   You have read the rest of the instructions, haven`t you ?  ie.
INSTALL..that`s where the links happen.

> Can anyone tell me which of the many sendmail files on my OpenBSD 2.9
> system
> I should remove and which I should symlink to qmail/bin/sendmail?
>
> My system contains the following sendmail files:
>
> /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
> /usr/bin/sendmail
> /usr/share/sendmail

Just do this...

mv /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail   /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail.old
mv /usr/bin/sendmail   /usr/bin/sendmail.old
chmod 0 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail.old /usr/bin/sendmail.old

ln -s /var/qmail/bin/sendmail /usr/bin

What does this all mean ??

First you are renaming the files with .old names so you can always go
back easily but programs won`t find them anymore.

The chmod 0 is to remove the setuid bit to prevent local users from
getting extra privilidges through sendmails security holes.

The ln -s links the old sendmail location to qmail`s sendmail wrapper.
This is so programs expecting to use sendmail at it`s default location
will be diverted to qmails mimicking wrapper.

> Thanks!
>
> Jc

Regards...Martin