Ron Jones wrote:
P.S. I've changed permissions of both scripts to 755 so this shouldn't
happen again, provided that wget preserves permission settings.
I just changed the permissions to 755 and it's running as we 'speak,' so
I'll keep you posted.

An interesting aside...
When it didn't work the first time, I thought "what the heck, I'll try it
using the "hard link" method.  When I started the run, I got nothing but row
upon row of error messages. Obviously they were flashing by a bit quickly,
but I did see a lot of "already exists" messages.

When it finished, my /usr/src directory was completely empty. I just
installed the kernel source, and recreated the file structure, so it was no
big deal. But it did give me a start.

This is disturbing to me. You didn't point the SANDROOT variable to /usr/src, did you? That would be not a good thing. I should probably mention in the wiki something about making it a *new* directory that doesn't already exist.

I don't see how the script otherwise could wipe out the contents of /usr/src/. Can you be a bit more specific about what you did initially to create this symptom?

Ron