From: Steve Ingraham
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com ; users@spamassassin.apache.org ;
qmail@list.cr.yp.to
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: [qmailtoaster] duplicate emails

Steve Ingraham wrote:
I need help with a problem.  Our users are seeing some multiple duplicate
emails coming from the same sender.  This is not occurring with every email
so there does not seem to be any pattern to which incoming emails will be
duplicated and which ones won't.  They are also reporting that duplicate
emails are sent when they send to an outside email.  Has anyone experienced
this problem before?  What could be causing this to occur and what can I do
to stop this?  I am running qmailtoaster and spamassassin as an external
email gateway.  There has been nothing changed with qmail but I did update
some rules in SA using rules_du_jour yesterday.  Would these rules updates
cause this problem?  If so, what would have changed?

Jake Vickers wrote:
If your system is low on resources (ie: RAM), then the spamd process can
take too long, making Toaster think the mail got lost somewhere, so it
resends it.
Might want to check and see how much RAM you're using.

I want to thank everyone who posted a reply on my inquiry.  I believe Jake
Vickers was right about the problem.  The RAM on the email server was bogged
down since yesterday when I updated the various .cf files using
rules_du_jour.  I had included just a handful of rules from RDJ but it
appears that RDJ utilizes much too much of my server resources to use it to
update my spamassassin rules.  It was slowing down the server so much that
simple functions were not responding.  This appears to have affected the
delivery of emails.  In fact I noticed that my original message to these
mail lists took several hours to post and were duplicated also.  I resolved
the problem by moving the various rules .cf files out of the
/etc/mail/spamassassin folder and restarting spamassassin.

If anyone has a simple way of updating rules for spamassassin I would
welcome your input.  I still need to update the rules as I have been getting
a great number of emails coming through to users.  Specifically, we are
getting a lot of the pharmaceutical spam and the stock spam.

Again, thanks to everyone for the posts.
Steve Ingraham