Warren (mailing lists) wrote:
> I have taken the upgrade.sh script and made it a little more useful for
> me.  I have attached a copy in a tarball. Here are the changes I made:
>
> (1) There are now 2 separate scripts.  The first does the downloads and
> the second does the upgrade.  This way I can start the downloads before
> I leave at night and then I can do the actual upgrade in the morning
> before anyone else comes in without having to wait for the downloads
>
> (2) The directory /usr/src/qtms-upgrade now has a suffix with the time
> and date the download started and a softlink points to it from
> /usr/src/qtms-upgrade.  If an old directory exists it gets renamed out
> of the way.  This allows me to have a history of upgrades as well as
> being sure that old .src.rpms are not being compiled.
>
> (3) The second (upgrade) script looks for monit's startup file
> (/etc/init.d/monit).  If it is found, monit gets stopped at the
> beginning of the upgrade script and gets restarted at the end.
>
> (4) The second script takes a flag of -y (sh upgrade2.sh -y) which
> assumes an answer of -y for all questions.
>
> (5) /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp gets restored after the upgrade and the new
> one gets renamed to tcp.smtp.new.  This way your rules do not get blown
> away.
>
> Feel free to use, modify or discard as you see fit.

Warren,

Have you seen qmailtoaster-plus (http://qtp.qmailtoaster.com)? The
qtp-newmodel family of scripts essentially does all of this (except #3) and
more. If you'd like to see #3 added as a feature, please create a ticket for it.

There are many other useful tools included in the package too, as documented
at the site.