Hello,

Tis the season for out-of-office autorespond messages. I've recently learned about a number of problems with the qmail-toaster autorespond system. I thought I'd share.

1. When qmailadmin (user.c) writes the message file, it writes the 'From:' and 'Subject:' header lines to the top of the file. The autorespond program doesn't honor these, it writes its own headers, which causes the headers to appear in the message body.

2. There are a number of conditions in autorespond.c where the program returns a non-zero exit code. This causes qmail-send to generate a bounce. You see this on email with mailing-list headers or precedence bulk. These have mostly been fixed in autorespond-2.0.5.

I spent a few hours hacking on the autorespond.c program to address these problems and add a few more features that my users wanted. Here's some of the changes.

The autorespond program now logs everything to syslog.
It almost always exits with a return code of zero.
It skips past the 'From' and 'Subject' lines in the message file so they don't end up in the body. It rewrites the Subject. So in qmailadmin you set he Subject to: "I'm away" and the email it's responding to has a subject of "Hi there" the end Subject line looks like: [I'm away] Re: Hi There.
It doesn't respond to mail that's been marked as Spam by Spam Assassin.
It only responds to an email if your address is explicitly listed on the 'To' or 'Cc' line.
Random stylistic changes so I could stand to look at it.

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~mikeh/autorespond.c

Use at your own risk of course. It might not work unless you're using qmailadmin-toaster-1.2.11.

Mike