On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:34 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The reasons I had to move on were few but important in my case. The other mail server gets it's updates automatically, I just click on the update and we're
done. It works.

There's a similar mechanism for QMT that exists able to do something along the same lines - though the catch-22 is that qmail itself doesn't really need any updates (well, is not supposed to be - or maybe it's just the excuse for the author to be lazy), though the supporting environment, certainly does.

That's another reason why I moved. I would be working away at something, trying to figure out what was wrong then suddenly someone would post 'oh, that's been broken for months now'. That happened a couple of time to me and I
saw it happen to others. That is frustrating.

To be honest, yeah, that's a huge problem QMT has, and a lot of it was caused by the fact that it's not a commercial product, but a labor of love for those involved - that's why sometimes parts don't get updated. Everyone certainly tries, and wants to do the best they can, but most have real jobs that take precedence.

There *ARE* commercial support systems for QMT, and there are companies and individuals offering support. I have paid for such in the past, and it was money well spent.

That was the final straw, for now at least. Not knowing that some of the things that come with the package come broken is a bit much don't you think?

Again, you are right - and to be perfectly honest, I have considered a switch to a Postfix based system for a while, and the only thing holding me back is that my QMT includes TMDA, and the Postfix based commercial system does not - though I am considering encouraging the authors of the commercial system to include TMDA, which would nearly seal the deal.

There are a lot of benefits of the specific Postfix based system I am looking at, the major one being the use of a different IMAP engine, which uses a fraction of the CPU overhead of the courier IMAP in QMT.

Then again, my mail servers are working fine, for the time being.

Harry