On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Tim Mancour wrote:

Hi Tim,

> Have you tried to SMTP_AUTH using their accounts and a different client
> (e.g. Thunderbird)? If that works then I'd ask the users to either change
> clients or update their versions of Outlook/Outlook Express. Office SP3
> fixed a number of issue that some of my users had sending/receiving Email.

Just tried setting up Thunderbird on one of the client's PCs with
SMPT_AUTH, and got the same error message with outgoing mail as I do with
outlook:

sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3-chkuser).
Please check the message recipients and try again.

I'm never prompted for a password for the outgoing mail.

In the SMTP log, I find:

./smtp/current:@4000000047fe86e91e7a77a4 CHKUSER accepted sender: from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote <[127.0.0.1]:unknown:123.123.123.123>
rcpt <> : sender accepted ./smtp/current:@4000000047fe86ea26c91d84 CHKUSER
rejected relaying: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote
<[127.0.0.1]:unknown:123.123.123.123> rcpt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
client not allowed to relay

Again, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is a live account that lives on our
toaster. It can POP mail just fine...

Meanwhile, if I or the client try to send mail via any of their accounts
*outside* of their LAN, I'm prompted for an outgoing password, and it
works just fine.

So far as we know, they aren't using any firewalling, or blocking ports;
their accounts worked fine on our older toaster.

Quite the mystery really...

--Duncan