James Pratt wrote:

I agree, list support seems great, however that is true of any oss list
out there, that is the point of them. My point was that it should not be
simple for just anyone to install a mail server, as that is at least 50%
of the reason email is growing more and more worthless. Again, I have
spent 7 years dealing with messed-up configurations, spam beyond belief
and utter stupidity on the part of people who suddenly started running
mail servers and thereby proliferating the spam problem further, because
they did not know enough to lock down their boxes, and ignored the
problem(s) afterwards.

I'm only going to comment at this one part:
Were you an admin during the days of the "net send" spams? That was OS related, not even email and I was called in to fix a system that was receiving THOUSANDS a day. I find that an hour long TV show is only 26 minutes a tiny step over into the spam realm. Spam is nothing but advertising. I even purchased XM radio because I was tired of what I considered spam - I already have a new car; I don't need someone screaming at me like a WWF wrestler that I *HAVE* to go get a new one. Or Dan Marino endorsing Chevy dealerships. Come on, like he drives anything less than an S-Class. Spam is spam. It was a problem BEFORE projects like this one came about. It would be there either way. There was even unsolicited messages back on my FIDOnet BBS back in the 80's. There wasn't really even an "interweb" thing then (yes, I've been at this a while). And just about anyone could go to a "hacker" FTP site or use Bittorrent and download Exchange 2000, 2002, 2003, etc. and spam from them just as easily. And they're a *LOT* easier to install (okay, another shameless plug: my ISO is about as easy to install, but you still don't get the pretty icons to click on to do everything for you).

Anyway, spam would be there any way. In an independent study that I conducted (not endorsed, qualified, accurate, blah blah blah) most of my spam comes from Sendmail mailers or PHP based mailers.

I'm off to spend some time with my family now. Night all!