Jake Vickers wrote:
My reply was based on experiences with my own servers and those that I've worked on for other people/companies. The RFC is great and all but as you said there are no obligations. When it comes down to it, we follow the rules that the "biggies" such as AOL, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, etc. set. I have a couple domains that have 3 MX records and I see mail delivered to all 3 machines regardless of priority or whether or not the others are answering. As far as I know that particular RFC has not been superceded but I'd say that roughly (without actually creating some boiled down metrics) 70%-80% of the servers that send me message actually follow that particular one. AOL has been seen delivering to all 3 of my MX records regardless of machine status. There's a couple other broadband companies that operate in the same manner that I've seen.

Ok, that clears things up. It's obviously the usual 'standard' which we 'all' follow...

Thanks for the answer, Marc