António Pedro Lima wrote:

Well I checked for Max connections on mysql.

Had nothing defined so I added:

set-variable = max_connections=500

The problem remained... So I incresead the value...

Same problem.

Under Squirrelmail I get connection dropped by imap server.

And I'm still looking on the logs for something strange.

I found this:

Jul 23 15:48:30 mail spamdyke[7315]: ERROR: unable to write 26 bytes to file descriptor 1: Broken pipe

That's a good start, but you still haven't said what your server load is like. How many users, how using IMAP, how many using POP3, etc. You may also try increasing the courier daemon in /etc/courier/authlib/authdaemonrc (default is 15). Here's the comments from the file: # You may need to increase daemons if as your system load increases. Symptoms
# include sporadic authentication failures.  If you start getting
# authentication failures, increase daemons.  However, the default of 5
# SHOULD be sufficient.  Bumping up daemon count is only a short-term
# solution.  The permanent solution is to add more resources: RAM, faster
# disks, faster CPUs...