From: Eric Shubert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 September 2008 18:13
To: Craig Smith
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] Some IMAP related queries

Craig Smith wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've been looking into Dovecote, and from a performance point of view it
> seems the best bet over courier.  I've not been able to install this yet,
> but was wondering from your experiences, would I have to adjust my
> backup/replication process much?

That depends on your backup/replication process, but I doubt that it would
change much if any.

> How well does Dovecote integrate?  In
> other words does it use the existing auth model and read qmails mysql data
> etc?

It integrates very easily. It is capable of authenticating using vpopmail,
so it's just a matter of setting up the configuration properly. The
documentation is very good, and IIRC has an example of vpopmail
configuration.

> Basically can you think of any major hurdles I may run into, or does
> it run largely the same on the surface as courier but more efficiently.

It's about as close to a drop-in replacement as you can get. It will
automatically build all of the indexes and such that it needs, on the fly.
It fixes itself if/when it sees something wrong. Pretty slick.

> A few of our mailboxes are rather large and I like the idea of the faster
> server with caching.  I'm hoping to have a server next week to install and
> test this on, but thought I would ask so I can eliminate a few things.

The only thing I can think of that you'll need to decide is whether or not
you want to set up your namespaces to be like courier (every subfolder
under/within Inbox), or allow users to create subfolders along side of the
inbox. I opted for the later, as the courier namespaces really bugged me. If
you choose the later, there's nothing really to convert or anything. Might
need to change subscriptions on the client side is all. The only difference
setting it up is a configuration setting that is well documented.

> Thanks again.

Sure. Let me know if you need any help, but please keep this sort of thing
on the list so others can benefit from the answers too. I like to reserve
private consultations for clients. ;)

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve