From: Jake Vickers [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 6:47 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] moving domain from old to new qmail toaster

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 23:28 -0500, Myers, Jon W wrote:
......snipped

I'm moving a domain from a very old qmail setup (which does indeed use
vpopmail) over to the new qmail toaster box.  Things look pretty straight
forward, as the vpopmail database is easy to read.  The one issue that I'm not
sure about is passwords.  My old database has encrypted passwords with 13
characters (uppercase/lowercase/letters/numbers/special chars/etc..) (aka, not
clear text).  The new database uses encrypted passwords that start with "$1$"
and are i think 34 characters long.  I do remember in all my Unix days that the
"$1$" denotes a particular algorithm.
So, is there an easy way to convert from the 13 character to the "$1$" flavor??

Jake wrote:
....snipped

As far as your passwords are concerned; the backup script will backup the whole
DB.  The restore script will drop whatever DB for vpopmail you currently have
and import the backed up copy.  In theory this should carry the passwords over,
but it will erase any data you have in the new DB so I would plan this out a
little before just jumping in.

-------

Ok, thanks for the info about the backup scripts.  Sounds like they would not
work in this case, because the password formats are different.  Sure, it'll
move the database, but the new vpopmail is expecting a different password
format.  I'll see if I can trace through the vpopmail changelogs to see if
there is a proper way to convert between the two password encryption types.