Jake Vickers wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Greetings Everyone,
I need help getting my POP3 to work again. My mail server has a public ip address and was working fine until a couple of days ago... i did not make
any changes on the firewall in place since I run it as well, but when i
telnet to the pop port whether inside lan or from a remote location all I
get is this...

akisakye$ telnet mailserver.com 110
Trying xx.xx.xx.xx...
Connected to mailserver.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

POP banner doesnt appear... ive tried to telnet on the machine itself and
a telnet to the localhost or 127.0.0.1 responds immediately with the pop
banner while a telnet to mailserver.com even on the servers terminal
reproduces the results...

Sounds like a DNS issue. Your server will perform a reverse DNS lookup on the IP connecting during the initial transaction. What does your /var/qmail/supervise/pop3/run file look like? Try adding an -H to the tcpserver options to disable remote IP lookups.

Thanks Jake,
I've adjusted the run file like below and it connected although it took close to 40 seconds... which is tooo slow for a connection on LAN... Any ideas on what else i should tweak? here is the run file

#!/bin/sh

PASSPROG="/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw"
HOSTNAME=`hostname --fqdn`

exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 9000000 \
/usr/bin/tcpserver -H -v -R -c 200 0 110 \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup $HOSTNAME \
$PASSPROG /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

ALex