Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
John Hansen wrote:
Hi,

We currently authenticate our users with an LDAP server for different systems such as email and thin clients (LTSP). I would like to keep this same set up and not use a separate user database for QmailToaster, if possible. Most of our users use webmail, but there are around 20 that use an email client with POP3.

Does anyone have a recommendation, one way or another, on using QmailToaster
with LDAP?

Pro's and cons?

Tuturial?

Thanks,

John

I'm sure Jake will chime in on this with authority.

I'd like to say, though, that I think this is a big weakness in the toaster presently, and I'd love to see us develop LDAP capability for QMT. I don't believe that it's a simple thing to do though, and I'd be thrilled to work with a sponsor to get it implemented.

Not a weakness, a different path.
Vpopmail does not work with LDAP, and some of the other patches we use will not work with qmail-ldap either. There is a project that helps you set up a qmail-ldap server over at qmail-ldap.org Since they're completely different approaches, I don't think you can really give any pros/cons besides what you get from LDAP anyway (both pros and cons).

I beg to differ. QMT offers no common authentication mechanism that can be shared with other applications in an organization. Seems like most applications can authenticate with LDAP. Does anything besides certain implementations of qmail use vpopmail authentication? I don't know of any. With vpopmail, user and password definitions are (un)necessarily separate from 'the rest of the world'. I'd call that a weakness if I wanted to integrate it with other applications in an organization. Let's face it, QMT is weak in this area. Now, how important that might can vary with depending on the circumstances.

As I stated before, they're separate paths, not "weakness". Qmailtoaster is a Qmail path that utilizes vpopmail and mysql. If you want to use LDAP, use qmail-ldap. If you want to use vpopmail but not mysql, use either LWQ or qmailrocks, etc. Qmail is only the backend. There are many paths you can take to achieve your goals. If you want vpopmail and mysql in an easy to install package, then Qmailtoaster is a good path for you. As far as sharing common authentication mechanisms, that is a matter of viewpoint. I've written PHP apps that used the vpopmail database for authentication to tie the application to the email system. With vpopmail being in mysql, you can use any mashup that can communicate with mysql for authentication. If this does not work for a specific app, then a different approach may be in order for your configuration.

Wait a minute. I might be going to sound like an idiot here, but I'll take that chance.

LDAP is a protocol, not an implementation. You can implement LDAP with a mysql backend, can you not? If so, why couldn't you have a mysql database that serves both vpopmail and ldap at the same time? I guess it'd be a matter of mapping the database schemas together somehow. If the schemas could not be merged together (a good chance of that I expect, as the vpopmail database isn't normalized well at all), worse case scenario would be having to run a process periodically that maps one schema (probably ldap) on to the other (probably vpopmail). In that way, you could share authentication data like John is looking to do.

Does this make any sense at all?