Eric Shubert wrote:

Wait a minute. I might be going to sound like an idiot here, but I'll take that chance.

LDAP is a protocol, not an implementation. You can implement LDAP with a mysql backend, can you not? If so, why couldn't you have a mysql database that serves both vpopmail and ldap at the same time? I guess it'd be a matter of mapping the database schemas together somehow. If the schemas could not be merged together (a good chance of that I expect, as the vpopmail database isn't normalized well at all), worse case scenario would be having to run a process periodically that maps one schema (probably ldap) on to the other (probably vpopmail). In that way, you could share authentication data like John is looking to do.

Does this make any sense at all?

It makes sense, but to make a couple points clear at this point in time, when you want LDAP for Qmail it then becomes an implementation. Sure, you could change the backend to serve both vpopmail and LDAP, but that would be a major rewrite if you wanted to use the same db for the backend. Can you tie them together? Sure. The database is just a bunch of information. How you pull that info and serve it for your app is up to you and is only limited by your imagination. I could see a daemon that pulled some data from a vpopmail database (either appending extra data to the DB entries since vpopmail will ignore the extra data anyway or using another DB tableset for this) that served it up in an LDAP format. Interesting idea really.