Not a stupid question at all, Michael. I'm a little surprised we don't see this question more often.

I'd like to add that with QMT there is any easy upgrade path, using the qtp-newmodel script(s) in QTP. The *-toaster packages are easily and safely updated on a production server, with downtime of only a few minutes. I don't believe that any qmail server flavor comes anywhere close to this. It can't get much easier than this.

With Jake at the helm, it appears the QMT has a real future. Spamdyke and Dovecot are planned for inclusion in the stock version 2. I'm also working on some significant additions like LDAP support, which probably will precede QMT2.

There is one drawback to QMT though. You may not get to learn the internals as much as with other qmail flavors (although there's nothing stopping you from doing so). QMT just works. ;)

Mike Canty wrote:
Mike,
        If it is of any consequence.  I have recently moved from a Fedora
Core 7 machine that I had installed Qmailrocks on.  I found that the
upgrades were a little slow, limited documentation and I needed a couple of
features that were not present.

After looking at a range of different Qmail options I chose to use the QMT
version.  I also wanted to keep using Fedora or Red Hat, as this is in place
on a few of my machines.  As a result CentOS was the obvious choice (Red Hat
without the Red Hat support).

I have now put the server in place with the QMT for CentOS 5.3 and this went
well.  I have also added the QMT Plus package, and sent some time tuning my
system using the videos supplied by Jake.

I did have an issue, but the excellent forum provided me with the
information to fix my issues.

After the install I now have a machine that is supported for a few years at
least, running in a stable environment, offering advanced features my
Qmailrocks install didn't.  Oh, and the QMT install was very easy compared
to Qmailrocks.

Just my thoughts

Cheers