From: Michael Colvin [mailto:mcol...@norcalisp.com]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:09 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: RE: [qmailtoaster] Stupid Question...Or two.

> We're naturally going to suggest you use a Redhat distro and QMT (you
> *are* asking on our list!), but I'd say use whatever tool fits the job.

Of course.  :-)

> Sit down, figure out what your goals and timelines are. Weigh this with
> what you need and mark milestones on your projected timeline. If you
> have an expanded timeline then maybe rolling your own is better as
> you'll learn the internals a little more. If your timeline operates in
> the real world, figure out what will work for you in the time allotted
> and budget "fudge" time (ie: "I borked this thing and need to fix it"
> time).
> Plan it all out in advance.

The timeline's pretty flexible...  What I have in place is working, and I've
got the hardware and rack space to build the new system without disrupting
the existing.  The only "Pressure" to get it done is that which I place on
myself.  I'd like to get it done so I can move on to the next one.  :-)

> Vpopmail in QMT uses a Mysql DB. It's trivial to replicate that
> database
> between multiple machines and there are a variety of methods to
> accomplish this.

I've done this before, also, and have looked at possibly implementing this
is my setup, and may in fact include it in my plans, to some extent.

> I'm going to start a video series on the magazine this
> coming week on how to build a cluster that replicates all the data
> between all the machines (database and mail store), so you could list
> all of your mail servers as MX records (or even a single MX record with
> multiple IPs!) and it would not matter which server accepted the data,
> as it would be replicated between them all. Your users would be able to
> use any (or all, depending on how you set it up) of the servers as
> their
> pop/smtp servers, or you could dedicate 1 machine as the smtp and the
> rest as the incoming, or whatever.
> The video will be over the next few weeks as this is a complicated
> task.

The video sounds good.  Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be
helpful.  I've browsed some of your existing videos, and they look well done
and easy to follow.  My current setup has multiple servers, all behind load
balancing, so I'm already spreading the load out amongst the multiple
servers, and it's working fine, and actually makes it nice when
adding/moving servers around.

> But to answer your question, yes, it's trivial to tell vpopmail to use
> an external database for it's user store. You could have your multiple
> incoming servers use the same vpopmail backend for
> authentication/checks
> to accept mail and then smtproute it to the final destination machine.
> The file you would need to edit would be the
> /home/vpopmail/etc/vpopmail.mysql file. It should be pretty self
> explanatory; change localhost to the IP/domain of the server you want
> be the mysql user store and adjust the password if needed. Everything
> else should pretty much stay the same. You may need to change the 0 to
> 3306. Then all of your frontend machines can authenticate against the
> same backend.

That's pretty much what I thought.  Like I said, while I'm no qmail expert,
I have been working with it for some time, and know the ins-and-outs of how
it works, for the most part, so this isn't "New" to me, but each OS
distribution seems to have slightly different ways of doing things, and
that's the main thing I need to get used to.

Thanks again!

     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com