hey eric
Thanks for this I will try it today -- one thing though

regarding :"  hostname being set correctly for your domain "

currently I have the hostname as : taster.local
this machine is sitting off of a router connected to a DSL -- I do not have a domain like
pps-inc.com  --- so is that OK

basically i think you are saying 2 things should 'match' I wonder if I am clear on that...
I am not doing DNS  or a MX for this particular dude.

also I am using my isp   smpt.fuse.net

also also _ I have never done a yum remove of sendmail ( or anything like that before...) I might like to copy the sendmail.cf some where to see the alterations I made
things like the SEND_AUTH  stuff.

thanks again!

Eric Shubert wrote:
Hey Jim,

I just happened to be doing this today, so here are my notes on how to set up postfix to send mail out from a generic server, like for logwatch output and such (that would otherwise go to r...@localhost).

{replace what's in braces, and remove braces}

# yum install postfix
# yum remove sendmail

# cd /etc/pki/tls/certs
# make postcert.pem

# echo "{submission.server.com}:587 {user:passwd}" \
> /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
# chmod 600 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
# chown root:root /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
# postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Edit /etc/aliases if desired, then do newaliases command:
root:    sysadmin
# newaliases

Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf, changing these from the default values (this was CentOS5.3):
myorigin = $mydomain
#mydestination =
mynetworks_style = host
relayhost = {submission.server.com}:587
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/tls/certs/postcert.pem
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/run/smtp_tls_session/cache

# service postfix start
# chkconfig postfix on

That should do it.
Note, this configuration relies on hostname being set correctly for your domain. If it's not, you'll need to change the myorigin variable appropriately.

Please let us know whether or not this works for you.

Eric Shubert wrote:
That's not telling us much. I sure don't know, and don't care to know sendmail. If you'd try using postfix again we might be of more help. For what you need, postfix isn't a bad choice. Certainly better than sendmail.

Jim Shupert wrote:
it is centos 4.7 running sendmail ( what came with it ) I started to install postfix because I am a bit more farmilur with that than send mail. Postfix was what i was using before i found -- the best mailserver solution of qmailtoaster...

anyways

I can email with a client ( evolution )  and that does come through

even though I am using sendmail. the smtp server is one from the isp - a dsl modem etc.

I can command line send mail ( sendmail ) to a gmail account - but not mu internal domain

I was wondering about MX  or Reverse DNS -
here is the full header of the client ( evolution ) email that does come through