Phil Leinhauser wrote:
 >> Thanks for the info Dave. I did just what you described except I pushed
 >> it to a text file so I could see better what was happening.
 >>
 >> I ran it with the 5 day setting and didn't get anything. Then I dropped
 >> it to 2 days and got a list. The script is apparently working but only
 >> on about half of the domains. I have other domains that never made it
 >> into the output.txt file. I know there is trash there because I have
 >> one user with over 3000 messages.
 >>
 >> I guess now the question is, does the script just delete everything
 >> older than DELTIME? or is it looking for something to only get
 >> messages? I see in the output that it looks like it's going to delete
 >> some index and dovecot-uidlist files. Is this ok?
 >
 > It probably shouldn't delete these files, but I don't think it will hurt
 > anything. Dovecot is very robust and will fix things on the fly that get
 > wacked out. If you give me the exact file names I can add an exception
 > to the script.
 >
 >> What can I do to see
 >> why it's not finding all of the old messages?.
 >
 > Do you have this statement in your script?:
 > for each in "${PATH_TRASH}" ; do
 > Try removing the quotes and see if that fixes it.
 >
 > The qtp-clean-spam script had the same bug that was fixed last December.
 > Looks like I missed fixing the qtp-clean-trash script.

Eric,
I removed the quotes and reran with the same results, still not finding all messages.

Here are the control files names:
courierimapacl
courierimapuiddb
dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log
dovecot-uidlist
maildirfolder
All of these are in .Trash and all other folders (.Drafts, .etc) so a global exclude might be in order. You'll know better what can be deleted and what can stay. Since I'm now on dovecot I'm sure the courier files can go but it might be good to exclude the entire list for those who are still on courier.

Thanks Phil. Can you try replacing
        for each in "${PATH_TRASH}" ; do
             FILES_TO_DELETE="`find ${each} -type f -ctime +$DELTIME`"
             if [ -n "${FILES_TO_DELETE}" ]; then
                for file in ${FILES_TO_DELETE} ; do
                    if [ -n ${file} ]; then
                       rm -f ${file}  >/dev/null 2>&1
                    fi
                done
             fi
        done
with
        for each in $PATH_TRASH; do
            find $each -type -f -ctime +$DELTIME -exec rm -f {} \;
        done

The find command is quite powerful indeed. ;)