Hi Scott,

The answer is to be more... or less specific in your firewall rules.

To be more clear, neither of your rule allow pinging as they are both  for
the wrong protocol.

1)      This rule explicitly allows tcp connection from a single IP address
to port 3306, normally used by MySQL

2)      This rule allows any TCP connection from a specific IP address

'ping' does NOT used TCP connection and therefore is still disallowed by
both if your attempt.

I can't remember the correct setting but have a feeling it's ICMP or
something like that (a quick google for it will clarify)

Sorry cant be of more help

Fin