Scott Hughes wrote:
I am trying to allow mysql communications between two of my servers for replication purposes. I have tried two iptables statements, but instead of allowing the communications, it stops all communications. I can no long ping the second server or SCP to it. Very strange. Here are the two things I've tried:

1) iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --syn -s 66.232.241.121 --dport 3306 -j ACCEPT

and

2) iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --syn -s 66.232.241.121 -j ACCEPT

What am I doing missing here?

Thanks,
Scott

It's a bit difficult without knowing what's already in your iptables. If you look at all the iptables chains, I think it'll make more sense.

For instance, what does the INPUT chain already contain? If nothing, and the default action is to reject or drop, that would explain what you're seeing.

Rather than messing with the commands directly, I think it's easier to edit the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file (after making a backup copy), then doing a "service iptables restart". This file is what's created by the "service iptables save" command, and it's used as the initial iptables configuration on startup.

Note, this file location is only good on RedHat derivative distros. I'm not sure how that happens on Debian/Ubuntu.