Hi Eric/Maxwell,

At Wednesday, 23-06-2010 on 21:19 Eric Shubert wrote:

Maxwell Smart wrote:
> Wouldn't it be easier to setup a local DNS server for the local
network?

> On 06/23/2010 07:17 AM, Amit Dalia wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> First of all I'll explain my scenario. My QMT server is placed in
>> network which contain 1 Windows AD server and all PCs excemt QMT
are
>> members of AD. All PCs are able to ping QMT server.
>> My queries:
>> 1) If internet is down all users are getting error "DNS temporary
>> unavailable" in their outlook. Even local mails are not getting
delivered.

I don't know much about AD, but my impression is that it likes to be
the
boss of everything (typical for MS). So I think the answer to Max's
question is: yes, and no. ;)

Bind has the capability of having multiple views, which can be set up

for internal and external views. So if a computer inquires internally

(from the lan), then the local address is given, and if an external
computer inquires (from the internet), the public address is given.

This is essentially what AD's name resolution needs to do to solve
this.
I don't know if this can be done with AD, nor how to make AD do it.

If AD can't do it, I would use a different name for the internal
address. That way you'll still have internal access with the internet
is
down.

OK will try to configure local dns in AD and then re-check.

>> 2) They got 1 ERP software in network which sends mail to their
>> client. After putting QMT, ERP software is unable to send mail
from
>> QMT and give error RDNS failed. There is no port option in ERP
>> software else I would have given submission port.

The port doesn't really matter.
What's the domain name that the ERP software is using? Can you
configure
it in the ERP software?

There ERP software needs only few things like incoming server,
outgoing server, sender id and receiver id. Now here sender id and
receiver id are from local domain of QMT. But getting error "421
Refused. Your reverse DNS entry does not resolve" in their ERP
software.

>> 3) I want to disable RDNS check for local ips. How to do this and
any
>> harm in doing this?

Do you use spamdyke? If not, install it. That will solve this
problem.
Alternatively, you can configure local clients to use port 587.

Yes, I'm using Spamdyke. There is no option for port else I planning
to change smtp port to 587.

>> 4) How to disable MX check on my QMT.

Why? Is this related to #1?

Disabling MX check is not a very good idea, as bounces would have
nowhere to go.

Yes it is related to #1. Anyway will try will local DNS.

Vickers Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and
installations.