Pak Ogah wrote:
On 21-Sep-10 2:47, Noel Rivera (Border Less) wrote:

Hello List In a few days I have this error in my qmail server, any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help

@400000004c97b94f1d8935ec qmail-smtpd: qq soft reject (mail server temporarily rejected message (#4.3.0)): MAILFROM:

fyi, from my experience qq soft reject error happen when
- disk full
- oncurrency limits hits, you can try raise
/var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming
/var/qmail/control/concurrencyremote

Are you sure about that, Pak? Disk full I'll buy. I don't believe hitting a concurrency limit will result in a qq soft reject message in the smtp log though. The reason is because when the concurrencyincoming limit is reached, an smtp session is not started. The qq soft reject message is coming from qmail-smtpd, which means that the session has started, and the limit could not have been reached. I don't see any log message from tcpserver (who would be doing the rejections in a concurrency limitation situation) regarding rejections due to the limit being reached (and I just checked for this to be sure), only the status message where the two numbers (current/max) are equal. No indication of blocked/rejected messages. I believe that blockage happens at the tcp level, and is not logged anywhere.

I think that lowering (not raising) the concurrencyincoming value can help to curb qq soft limits, at least in cases where the system is overloaded. We haven't been able to make that determination yet though in Noel's case.

The bottom line here is that when the concurrency limit is hit, it simply results in delayed delivery, as the sending server will try again later. The same is true for the qq soft reject message. The mail will eventually be delivered.

For those of you who may not know, message error numbers beginning with the number 4 (#4.x.x) are soft rejects, and are retried later by the sending server. Error numbers beginning with 5 (#5.x.x) are hard rejects, and result in the message being bounced back to the sender.