I had a little difficulty with keeping dovecot up at first. It's very sensitive to time, and I'm running VMs. I think I got the time situation under control, but I keep this script running as a cron job every minute just in case:
[root@tacs-mail ~]# cat /usr/local/bin/monitor_dovecot
#!/bin/sh
# check if dovecot's running, and start it if it's not
# shubes - 20090206 - created
service dovecot status >/dev/null 2>&1 || \
service dovecot start  >/dev/null 2>&1
[root@tacs-mail ~]#

As you can see, I'm not using supervise for dovecot. I'm not sure there's really a good reason to do so. (when in Rome...)