On 04/14/2011 05:08 PM, Scott Hughes wrote:
This message is intended for Eric and/or anyone that has upgraded from
the manual install of Dovecot 1.x to the new install of Dovecot 2.x that
Eric kindly worked out for us.

My question is this: What are the chances of a blown upgrade following
the new wiki instructions? Doing the make uninstall and them yum'ing the
latest Dovecot version?

I ask this because I just moved over a VERY important domain to our
qmail server that has the Dovecot 1.x running on it right now.

Thanks,
Scott

There's always a chance. I think it's pretty low though.

Has anyone used those instructions yet?

I think I'd install the rpm on a test host, copy the old configuration file you used over there, run doveconf -n against it, and compare the result to what the rpm is using. That should show you which configuration parameters are different.

Also read through the dovecot wiki page(s) regarding upgrades from the version you're running to v2.x, and see if there's anything there that applies to your installation.

I think I didn't say anything explicitly about removing the supervise scripts you created with the other install. You'll need to remove them as well.

Oh, and you might want to update the wiki with anything you come across that's missing or incorrect. ;)