On 03/04/2011 11:28 AM, Eric Broch wrote:
  On 3/4/2011 10:55 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
I had a little difficulty with keeping dovecot up at first. It's very
sensitive to time, and I'm running VMs. I think I got the time
situation under control, but I keep this script running as a cron job
every minute just in case:
[root@tacs-mail ~]# cat /usr/local/bin/monitor_dovecot
#!/bin/sh
# check if dovecot's running, and start it if it's not
# shubes - 20090206 - created
service dovecot status>/dev/null 2>&1 || \
service dovecot start>/dev/null 2>&1
[root@tacs-mail ~]#

As you can see, I'm not using supervise for dovecot. I'm not sure
there's really a good reason to do so. (when in Rome...)

Eric,

So, you create the file /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot, add it as a service
using 'chkconfig --add dovecot' and start it at boot-time using
'chkconfig dovecot on' ?

Yep. I think the rpm does that automagically.

If so, what does you /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot file look like? And, as a
consequence, I suppose, I would remove /var/qmail/supervise/dovecot/run

Right. Let me get the 2.0.9 rpm installed, and I'll get you the init script for it.

How do you implement the logging mechanism, through qmailctl and
/var/qmail/supervise/dovecot/log/run ?

No, I just use the 'stock' logging. /var/log/dovecot.log, with logrotate (config for which is in the rpm).