I'm no mysql expert, but I'd google "mysql error 28 from storage engine" and see what that code means. Or see if you can find the meaning of code 28 somewhere. I expect it means something specific.

I would think that this would only effect the mysqldump portion of the qtp-backup tarball. IIRC, the folders/files in the /home/vpopmail/domains/ folder are in a separate tarball. Have you looked for that particular tarball to recover the lost folder?