From: Eric Shubert <e...@shubes.net>
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Sent: Tue, Oct 4, 2011 16:09:28 GMT+00:00
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Migrating from Qmail Rocks install on Solaris to Qmail Toaster on CentOS

webmail is imap, so that simplifies a little.

The big/first thing is to freeze any account changes before beginning the migration. That's pretty much a must, and shouldn't be a big deal.

On the inbound side of things, are you planning to put everything in the QMT host and eliminate your present gateway and SA hosts? That will dictate how you'll go about migrating (dns vs routing change).

On the MUA/retrieval side of things, you'll need to have both the old and the new operational for a period of time. Even after you change DNS to point to the new host, it takes a while for the change to propagate, so you'll have requests coming to both servers. After a day or so, you can turn off imap/pop services on the old host and do a final data migration to pick up any straggling emails.

BTW, I hope you're using dovecot on your new QMT host. If you haven't done this yet, take the time to do it now. It's much more efficient than courier, and does a great job of cleaning things up automatically that may not be quite right, like index files and such. I would use dovecot for both imap and pop. Check the wiki regarding dovecot.