Smile Global Technical Support
Submit or check trouble tickets http://billing.smileglobal.com
www.smileglobal.com <http://www.smileglobal.com>

On 10/4/11 10:41 AM, Joel Eddy wrote:
This is only my 2 cents.
You will want to lower your DNS TTL down to 3600 before you start this
process at least 3 or 4 days before.

That way when you transfer over you won't get as many phones call
complaining about mail issues. And it should clear itself in about an hour.

TTFN

Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:30 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Migrating from Qmail Rocks install on Solaris to
Qmail Toaster on CentOS

On 10/04/2011 09:42 AM, ca...@smileglobal.com wrote:
For now no, the gateway and sa hosts will stay put.
Then you can simply change the smtproutes in the sa host to point to the
new server at an appropriate time, after the new host is up and running
and accounts exist there.

Understandable about keeping the old server up while changes propagate.
Don't need to worry about the inbound side though, as that'll stay the same.

The old server is using courier, but I guess dovecot could be a better
route. I've used it a little in the past on a different server. What
kind of difficulty am I looking at to switch from courier to dovecot?
It's not tough at all. See the wiki for instructions. There's an rpm for
QMT available in the QTP repo.

Also, how would you recommend that I keep the maildirs up to date? Im
trying to figure out the best way to do that without causing either lost
or duplicate mail. Am I going to want to create tarballs of mailboxes
and run some type of conversion on them before restoring them, or
utilize sync, or is there a better way?
I think you're gonna need to do some scripting for this, as the
directory structure is changing. Basically, you want something that'll
migrate the maildir folders from one host to another. I think I'd use
tar with a couple scripts to 'drive' the thing.

On the old side, the script should find a domain (or drive it with a
list), then find each account, then tarball up the maildir into a single
file. At the end of the process, you can tarball up all the account
tarballs into a single archive for transfer.

After transfer, on the new side, untar the transferred file, and another
script would process each maildir tarball, and untar it into the
appropriate place. Be careful not to wipe out any mail that may have
come in directly to the new server already.

The only problem I can think of is if you have pop users who leave
messages on the server. Those are going to be duplicated. If your users
can't live with that, you'll need to do some extra work to get that part
taken care of.

Thanks for all the help you've been offering...I certainly appreciate it.
Sure.
I hope you're taking copious notes for the wiki. ;)