On 08/06/2012 07:36 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
On 8/6/2012 10:26 AM, Maxwell Smart wrote:
Alex mentioned to simply change the tags which I did and they still
don't work with short tags off.  I am sure it's something simple, but
with the tag changed and short tags off it doesn't work, switch them
on with no changes to the php code and it works.

Short tags were intended to make "short and simple" php scripts less
wordy and easier to read by non-programmers...
Unfortunately, it meant that some ambiguities that were made possible by
the use of short tags had to be handled in a "best guess" fashion.
IMHO, for now, just leave the php code alone (for one, it calls other
php sources that ALSO need to be fixed, and for another, the code that's
there is "programatically sloppy" and needs to be fixed-up anyways).

With my background in programming, I must admit that I strongly prefer
the maintenance of code with as little change as possible... so my first
instinct was to just enable short tags (making the entire PHP subsystem
backward compatible) and forget about it.

Upon further review, it's become clear to me that just allowing short
tags will have to be a "band-aid" solution, and someone will have to
look over the source material. Fortunately, there is no rush, as we'll
be OK with the "band-aid" until RHEL/COS 7 (which should include PHP 6).

More of my thoughts for free... I have a serious accounts receivable
issue here! ;-)

Enjoy!

Dan McAllister

I agree with (most of) what Dan's said.

We're doing to do it right, and fix the code. It's not that big of a deal. We could probably have had it pretty much done in the time we've researched and discussed it.

Thank you.