On 06/08/2012 17:26, Maxwell Smart wrote:

On 08/06/2012 06:47 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
On 8/6/2012 2:24 AM, Maxwell Smart wrote:
Maxwell Smart wrote:

You're right. I went back through some e mails and found a note from Dan about short tags in php.ini file. By default it's off in php5.3 install. It needs to be on according to Dan. I switched it on, restarted Apache and everything works as expected.

Is there any security issue with having shot tags set to on?

_*You mean someone actually READS these??? *_

OMG! I'll have to make sure I'm /RIGHT /more often! :-)

FWIW: Short tags are not a real security issue unless you're in a mixed-scripting environment, in which case short tags can result in some odd (and sometimes extremely difficult to trace) problems -- especially with XML interoperability!

The elimination of short tags in PHP5.3 is actually a change (ok, maybe a migration) in the language syntax.... However, according to some documentation, elimination of short tags may be REQUIRED in the next major revision (PHP6)... there does seem to be some push-back in the PHP community (regarding the deprecation of even allowing short tags - the community appears to strongly favor keeping at least the option available, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it re-enabled as an option...).

However, as we (as a computing community) continue to move toward a platform-independent model, we're going to have to live better with other languages (like xml), and thus/as a coding style/, short tags need to be phased out as we maintain our PHP scripts (and templates). (It should be as easy as a global replace in php-only files!)

Just my thoughts! Before you complain, remember how much you paid for them!

Dan McAllister

--

IT4SOHO, LLC
PO Box 507

CALL TOLL FREE:
   877-IT4SOHO

We have support plans for QMail!

Not just read saved for reference!

Not complaining, just sharing.

Alex mentioned to simply change the tags which I did and they still don't work with short tags off. I am sure it's something simple, but with the tag changed and short tags off it doesn't work, switch them on with no changes to the php code and it works.