Wicus' issues are not uncommon:

An "attacker" gains a password (through guesswork or other means) of a user on your system, then proceeds to spam the hell out of the world from your system.

Alternatively, some user gets a malware infection on their system that uses their mail program (usually Outlook) to spam the hell out of the world from your system.

So how can you head it off?

I am in the finishing stages of writing a script that, if I am not mistaken, will be obsoleted rather quickly. This script is designed to look through the send log file and essentially build a "message log" for each message:
 - who its from
 - who its addressed to
 - results of each send
 - when it is done (final act of removing it from the queue)

The "sticky wicket" in this is that qmail uses the inode number of the message body in the queue as the tracking ID, thus the same numbers appear over and over. This is what breaks all other attempts to do this that I have encountered, and this is the biggest stumbling block that I can see so far.

I hope to have this completed in the coming week or 2.

How this applies, it that I already have a script that attempts (albeit with many instances missed currently) to count the number of failed messages from any single user in any given day. When that number reaches 50, I automatically change the password on the user account (thus, stopping their authentication) until I can investigate further.

So that will help with DETECTION -- what about deterrence?

Well, for one -- and I've talked about this before -- you can stop allowing users to AUTHENTICATE on port 25. Port 25 SHOULD be used SOLELY for inbound messages to your hosted (or relayed) domains. Thus, when you ran your telnet attempt and used a destination of a gmail address, your server should have (and did) refused the message.

The problem is that we enable authentication on port 25 because we seem to think we should be running the same code for submission (port 587) and smtp-ssl (port 465). IMHO, THOSE ports should be the OPPOSITE of port 25: - Port 25 should allow anonymous connections (non authenticated)... ports 587 and 465 should not - Port 25 should NOT accept messages for non-local domains... ports 587 and 465 must - Port 25 must not require SSL or AUTH; ports 587 and 465 SHOULD (or, as I prefer -- allow it on 587, require it on 465).

This STOPS spammers from connecting on your port 25 interface and sending all kinds of messages through an authenticated "work around". Of course, it doesn't stop the same hacker from just switching to ports 587 or 465... but I haven't seen them use those ports YET.

Just my thoughts....

Dan McAllister
IT4SOHO

Dan McAllister