I hope this answers your question Wicus...

Dan
IT4SOHO

On 2/16/2014 3:07 PM, Wicus Roets wrote:
Eric,

This is where I'm confused. If qmail accepts mail for relay based on
authentication of a valid account/pw pair, how could I have send mail via
telnet on port 25 by only supplying a valid account (without a password)?

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: 16 February 2014 09:56 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Spamming via valid vpopmail account

On 02/16/2014 11:32 AM, Wicus Roets wrote:
That explains is quite nicely.

One more question though ;)

Quoting from "http://gmane.org/post.php"; - " People who do not have
valid email addresses in their From or Reply-To headers can't use
Gmane to post to mailing lists."
That's (primarily) because gmane doesn't have accounts with passwords.
It uses the From/Reply-To to verify that an address exists, when the first
message from an account is sent to the list. This is akin to adding an
account.

  From my earlier mail, qmail accepts mail based only on the "rcpt to:"
of the header. As an interim, would inclusion of verification on the "mail
from:"
be easier/quicker ?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. qmail accepts mail (for relay) based on
authentication (valid account/pw pair).

I don't think that verifying the "mail from" is always practical, but I know
that SamC is considering adding some such capability to spamdyke. I think we
should wait and see what he comes up with for that. QMT doesn't presently
use spamdyke on port 587, but it soon will. spamdyke v5.0 was just released,
and once it's deemed stable (by me), QMT will use it to handle
authentication (on port 587).