I looked at this briefly, and determined it's not suitable for QMT.

If something like this ever practical, it would need to be configrable on a per-user basis, as Dan sugggested.

A few thoughts about this.

First such a thing would be contrary to RFCs (not this this is a be-all end-all reason).

Secondly, this moves in a direction that is actually *less* secure. A more secure setup would have the authentication ID be *different* than the email address. That way, malicious imposters would need to acquire the login id *and* password in order to crack an account. So you see, having a login ID that's different from the email address is actually a good thing, from a security stand point.

Note, the authentication ID is frequently included in the message header, so it's not entirely hidden. I'm looking into that as well though, in a way that the last-4 of a credit card number is printed on receipts. If indeed the authentication ID is even really needed in message headers.

Along the lines of controlling spoofing, it might be practical for a submission server to inquire from an authentication server, which sending addresses are allowed to be used by a given account. This could be specified as a list, and using wildcards. In that manner, some control of spoofing addresses would be practical. I'm curious to know if there's a way to do this with postfix. Anyone care to look into this? I know we have some postfix converts lurking here (and I truely appreciate that!). ;)

Thanks.