Hello,

I am new to POP3 servers and was hoping that folks on this list would be
able to offer some suggestions on security.

I am interested in installing QPopper with TLS/SSL, as this seems like it
would be the most secure configuration with regards to user authentication
and message contents.  I am vaguely familiar with APOP, Kerberos, and PAM.
Is their any advantage to running SSL/TLS QPopper with any of these other
protocols, or is SSL/TLS sufficient on it's own?

One other concern I have with the general "stability" of QPopper itself in
terms of the developer turnaround time for dealing with new exploits.  From
what I can tell from the Eudora site, QPopper 4.0.4 has been in Beta sine
September 2001.  Is QPopper still being actively developed?  It seems to me
that there are 2 significant security alerts that have yet to be resolved:
The 2048+ characters exploit
http://www.digitux.net/security/advisories.html?id=34&display=info, and the
'popauth' Module Symlink Bug
http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2001/Dec/1003005.html  Can I expect a
rapid turnaround time for bug resolution?

Any feedback is appreciated

Michael Caplan
Institute for Social Ecology
http://www.social-ecology.org/