----- Original Message -----
From: "The Little Prince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ken Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Subscribers of Qpopper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: virtualhosting with qpopper

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ken Anderson wrote:
>

> > Yes, that's true, but for compatibility with sendmail and it's way of
> > doing delivery the user would be /var/mail/user, and sendmail would
> > continue to use /etc/password to check for local delivery. But can
> > qpopper work on the mailspool as the UID of the user in /etc/passwd,
> > even if it's using mysql for a backend?
> >

> the uid and gid go into mysql and qpopper uses it from there.
> do one of the following..
> 1. Keep both databases, mysql for qpopper, and /etc/passwd for sendmail.
>    That's the short way.
> 2. Move sendmail to mysql instead of passwd (i believe there are patches
>    out there)
> 3. Use an MTA in replacement of sendmail that has native mysql and
>    virtualhosting support. e.g. postfix. So you don't need mappings.

There is a patch for Sendmail to use MySQL.  I have no personal experience,
but it exists.  Provided that the MySQL db structure is the same for both
purposes, which I'm sure can be easily altered anyway, then the same table
can be used for both daemons.

When you're talking about virtual hosting using Sendmail without such a
patch, it uses the database /etc/mail/virtuser (enabled by a FEATURE, and
called whatever you like -- I use virtualmail.)  That database consists of
an email address key and a local username (or other email address) value
pair.

It's trivial to use that as your primary user database, make a script which
would import that to MySQL for QPopper address-to-user conversion, and
/etc/passwd for your local Unix user accounts.  If you use *dbm databases
instead of hashes, it also should not be difficult to make a *dbm table
lookup using TLP's MySQL patch as a reference.

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]