Quoting Ken Anderson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Yes, that's true, but for compatibility with sendmail and it's way of
> doing delivery the user would be /var/mail/user, and sendmail would
> continue to use /etc/password to check for local delivery. But can
> qpopper work on the mailspool as the UID of the user in /etc/passwd,
> even if it's using mysql for a backend?

I'd say that sendmail doesn't USE /etc/passwd, and mostly its true.
Except that a mailer with the "w" flag will do a getpwent call,
mainly to keep a local mailer from being passed mail for a nonexistant
user.  It's easily redone to support a generic "does this user
exist" call (easier with 8.12 after we'd had to do it over and over
with 8.9 and 8.10/11).

If you remove the "w" flag, sendmail doesn't care about local users.
Your LDA (local delivery agent) does.  procmail, mail.local, deliver
(cyrus) whatever you use.

And they define "local" as they see fit.  Cyrus and its deliver
can deliver to a mailstore with "users" define per LDAP or other
means.

Using SQL, to me, seems the wrong approach.  There HAVE been LDAP
interfaces to (slower) SQL databases and that seems about right.
OpenLDAP 2.1+ has generic "backend" modules that let you keep your
data store in db4 files (default and typical and really really
fast, at least to 10 or 20 million entries).  There's also backend
modules for SQL.  I've not used them with MySQL.

But this means your mail system (MTA, popper, etc) can speak a well
defined generic LDAP protocol while you can keep your data in SQL
(which varies in transfer mechanisms for each sql vendor) for
whatever reason to think you need.

Just note that SQL, with a full blown query language, is a bunch
slower that a native LDAP server by an order of magnitude.  It's
far far more robust, but email and auth don't generally touch on
that robustness and richness of features.

To bring it back on topic, I think it would be far more useful to have
a qpopper that natively could use LDAP to authenticate and also to
get a users' mailstore location.

uid: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
userPasswd: {ssha1}foobar19
mailHost:   mstore-5