On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:13:39AM -0400, Edward Chase wrote:

  Yes, server mode will help some because under a couple sets of
circumstances it eliminates copying/rewriting the spool in /var/mail.
(It also helps performance.)

> I did try a soft quota of 2x the hard, but that doesn't work either.  Mail
> will just keep coming in until it reaches the upper limit of the soft quota.
> At some point they are going to need more space just to do any cleanup.

  You mean hard quota = 2* the soft quota, right?

  Yes, this does not solve the problem.  It merely gives you a
high-water mark (and actually as somebody else noted you need the hard
quota to be 2*soft + some X for margin.)  If you let it grow past the
soft quota, it will end up jamming once it gets > 1/2 the hard quota.

  Using an LDA which can set limits on mailbox size is a better
solution.  The Postfix LDA can do this if you want the same quota on
all mailboxes; I don't know what the sendmail method is.

> Maybe if I try the soft quota along with some good scripting...  Care to
> share?

  'Fraid I don't have anything on hand that I can turn over.  We are
running some conglomeration of scripts to do that, but I'm not working
in that group (LavaNet Systems dept) any more, and I'm leaving this job
in a couple days.

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect