I would lean towards being slightly more positive about this approach (at least
in the sense that I don't think it's unquestionably a complete waste of time).
You have indeed basically come up with a greylisting scheme, but the fact that
it is content based may provide some value that typical sender based
greylisting does not. For example it might give you a higher likelihood that
URIBL's or content based systems like Cloudmark will catch a bad message with
that delay.
I have no idea if that will actually be true, or if the greylisting period will
be long enough to be of benefit in that sense. It is certainly true that the
percentage of mail that doesn't bother to retry continues to dwindle in my
experience so that benefit may be limited.

In essence I would say that both the biggest benefit and the largest drawback
is that you would be deferring every price of content even from generally
trustworthy sources like ISPs. My best guess is that the cost of slowing down
all of your mail and the effort to maintain things like whitelists of sources
you always trust and never want to defer will make this system untenable. But
that is mostly a gut feeling. If you do test out something like this whether it
works or not I think a lot of people would be interested to know how it turns
out and whether it impacts the effectiveness of anything else in your filtering
stack.

Robert