Qt Creator is a great code editor first, a good debugger second, and
its role as an actual IDE comes after that.

You're not missing anything. It just hasn't been done yet. qmake's
file format is easy to do this kind of thing by hand in, so I would
imagine that such a feature simply hasn't been a great priority. Think
of it this way: how often do you actually go and do mass
reorganization of your project? If the answer to this is anything more
than "not very often" something's wrong with your workflow. ;) On the
other hand, how often do you edit a source file? How often do you
check out or check in code with your source code management tools? How
often do you compile, test, and debug your application? There's plenty
of other stuff that needs to work before renaming files is really a
concern.

/s/ Adam