On Feb 2, 2010, at 8:58 PM, ext Charles N Burns wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. I will file a report on the few issues which
> were not a misunderstanding of my own.
>
> Regarding #4, whitespace:
>
>>> 4) The option [Text Editor --> Behavior --> Clean Whitespace] is very
>>> useful, but it should not clean the whitespace of the currently active
>>> line of text. I often save with CTRL+S, and when I do this, the
>>> indentation of my current line (If otherwise blank) is lost. This can
>>> be annoying when saving a lot right before adding a new line.
>>
>> How could it be possible to know if you intend to continue typing or not?
>> If you are annoyed by that, perhaps doing it explicitly "Clean Whitespace"
>> instead of the automatic cleaning on save works out for you.
>> Either invoke it from the Menu (Edit->Advanced->Clean Whitespace),
>> or assign a keyboard shortcut of your liking to it
>> (Tools->Options->Environment->Keyboard, type "Clean Whitespace" as a filter
>> for the list, assign a shortcut), and use that.
>
> What I had in mind was "Clean whitespace unless it is to the left of
> the keyboard cursor."
> This way, unnecessary whitespace would be removed, but it would not
> require manual re-indentation of the current line of code every time
> it's saved.

Yes, but in case you pressed return to create a new line, but don't intend to
continue writing there, not cleaning the whitespace on the line of the cursor
is wrong:
Press return (getting indented new line), save, go to a different file. Later
you find out that "Clean Whitespace" didn't do it's job, without any hint why.
(Ever added a new line to make code visually a bit more separated?)

> The remaining extra whitespace on that line, if any, could be cleaned
> up when the user presses <enter>.
>
> Best regards,
> --Charles N. Burns

Eike Ziller
Software Engineer
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori