On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Eike Ziller <eike.zil...@nokia.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2010, at 8:58 PM, ext Charles N Burns wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the reply. I will file a report on the few issues which
> > were not a misunderstanding of my own.
> >
> > Regarding #4, whitespace:

> >> How could it be possible to know if you intend to continue typing or
> not?
> >> If you are annoyed by that, perhaps doing it explicitly "Clean
> Whitespace" instead of the automatic cleaning on save works out for you.
> >> Either invoke it from the Menu (Edit->Advanced->Clean Whitespace),
> >> or assign a keyboard shortcut of your liking to it
> (Tools->Options->Environment->Keyboard, type "Clean Whitespace" as a filter
> for the list, assign a shortcut), and use that.
> >
> > What I had in mind was "Clean whitespace unless it is to the left of
> > the keyboard cursor."
> > This way, unnecessary whitespace would be removed, but it would not
> > require manual re-indentation of the current line of code every time
> > it's saved.
>
> Yes, but in case you pressed return to create a new line, but don't intend
> to continue writing there, not cleaning the whitespace on the line of the
> cursor is wrong:
> Press return (getting indented new line), save, go to a different file.
> Later you find out that "Clean Whitespace" didn't do it's job, without any
> hint why.
> (Ever added a new line to make code visually a bit more separated?)

True, though that could be solved by making any action other than typing
code into that line (saving, moving the cursor to a different line, even
viewing a different file) remove the space.
I think it would be a nice option as a check box under "Clean Whitespace",
maybe "Exclude current line" or something. I don't want to encourage
featuritis, but I suspect many people save frequently and would find this a
nice minor time saver. If you disagree, that's okay too. You and your team
obviously know what you are doing in making an IDE, and I'll certainly still
use Qt Creator.

Best Regards,

--Charles Burns