On 30.07.2010 10:57, ext Danny Price wrote:
> TextMate is a very heavy-weight product. Ideally this Creator 'Lite'
> would just be a text editor with syntax highlighting (it doesn't really
> need auto-completion).

Arent there lots of lightwight text editors with syntax highlighting
available already? Why add another one? To me creator shines since it
understands the code I write. So some simple regular expression based
syntax highlighting is not enough.

Of course you can just take the C++ engine build into creator (just
include cplusplus.pri into your project, it is meant to be reusable) and
build a more light weight editor. Of course for the engine to work
properly you need to provide it with information like which other files
are there, where to look for files to include, etc. ... basically all
the stuff that makes a project:-)

> Most importantly, it must launch really fast. The
> recent releases of Creator have started to become rather sluggish on
> startup; VisualStudio 2008 actually launches faster on my machine now
> than Creator which isn't good.

Where does it take so much time? It feels pretty fast for me (less that
3s). I did have trouble with sluggish startup for a while on windows
though. Turned out that my proxy setup in windows was to blame. Windows
insisted on figuring out by waiting for a timeout that I do not need a
proxy (automatic proxy configuration)... and it insisted on blocking
while doing this:-/

--
Tobias Hunger
Software Engineer

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori