I would like to share my experience in a workshop I have given lately.
It was about c++ and a basic introduction of classes. It had nothing to
do with Qt, though
I used it in one example for plotting a function, and I created all
example projects with QtCreator.

No student taking the course (3 hours in one day) had any C++
environment installed, so I gave the latest windows sdk and the
QtCreator 2.0.1
installation around. Unfortunately neither of the programs put any path
into the PATH (why ?) . That meant that we had to add a Qt environment
in Creator. Aport from being very confusing for all students none of
them understood which path to add. I had displayed my path on the projector,
but nevertheless most of the got it wrong.

Then we started writing code. However in most cases Creator did not
compile anything but instead printed a mesage about make not found or
similar.
We first thougth that the path would be wrong, but that was not the
problem. Instead nothing was set up wrong. We had to restart QtCreator
to get it working.

The third error was that in my example for all students the project
could not link the project relative path libraries. Why ? Because of
shadow builds. So no student including me understood the usage of shadow
builds because they just break your project from compilation.

Once everything worked they were happy with it.

So could these basic first-set-up procedure be improved?

Matthias